Day 37 (of Blogging): Back to the new normal.

With all of my exams, except Math 316, done, I got to say that I think my current strategies will work for the short term. Math 416 might ( keyword: might ) be a lot better than I expected, as I do not have to worry more than I already am about my place and mathematical ability in the course. Overall, I have realized that a LOT of what I need to do is becoming a lot of consistent individual work or CIWs. These sorts of tasks will probably propagate more as I get into more rigorous courses in UMich and (hopefully) am challenged more, but for now, I am forced to explore them haphazardly as I hope to get a lot out more out of college than others.

To define a CIW, so I can use that term later and not need to redefine it, I want to give such a task a real chance of increasing my skill level, I will say that, for now, it requires the following three tasks for sure:
1. A New Experience. Whether it is drawing or designing or new math, it needs to be something that either EXTENDS old conceptual frameworks (Think Math 416 and my experiences with Distributions), or CREATES new conceptual frameworks ( Like my work with React, as I have learned so much and learned to think in a completely new way ).
2. A Relatively High Difficulty Level. While this is obvious, it has to be said. When starting new projects, I tend to create ways to simplify my work and prevent overload, so I need to try new things where I am either out of my comfort zone (see: Public Speaking or Writing) or need to really put myself on the line to get what I want (see: A High Intellectual Workload).
3. Most importantly, however, a CIW needs to Have Documentation. While this is quite a bit of extra hassle on my part, this sort of work ensures that I have something that I can refer to if I start needing some of my previous work again. With some sort of documentation, whether it be notes, comments, or mathematical presentations, I can effectively pull a "git rebase" on my understanding should my mind try to delete previous knowledge in favor of something more contemporary. Additionally, through effects like the Feynman Technique, this third step is vital for my education, as it will ensure that I have gained sufficient mastery in the content, as I could coach myself in it from nothing to something.

With this framework, I am able to ensure that newer experiences can leave a more lasting impression on me and give me a rough-and-ready check on if my current work is worth my time or not. If I cannot find justifications for all three rules, then it might not be the best use of my time if the purpose is to grow intellectually and build mental toughness. Hopefully, every day from now on, I am able to use this as a baseline to check myself and see if I truly did something useful*.

* After reflecting, I think that this really characterizes sudden growth well, but I'll have to see if this is effective for characterizing long-term growth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 33: A weird day.

Day 36: Emotional Drainage