Update for 3/29/17

Objectives:
1. Order stuff for chodge project [ cloud chamber ]
2. Ch. 15 Notes [ Element STDY is important ]
3. USNCO part i (timed)
4. Blog Post
5. Get through 10 JS programming challenges
6. Read a book / Finish a book!

   Today was very interesting with respect to literature class. As I do more and more preparation for the essay exams that I need to take for IB exams ( literature and history ), I am seeing that I want to write less and less knowledge in my essays, focusing on the skills and analysis that I have developed more than anything else. Besides the strange focus on original ideas, I was pleasantly surprised when I was actually happy when I finished the literature exam today. Given my conversations with Zach yesterday, there are a few possibilities of this phenomena. Obviously, it all stems from properly enjoying the material, but the question stems from why is this material good material to read, rather than the boring material that I have seen in earlier days. While I originally believed that my desire to read this stuff, and my ability to enjoy it, stems solely from the interesting nature of the works, he brought up a good point - that my love could stem from all of the work that I needed to do in order to start doing literature in a manner that was both productive and one that produces good grades in content ( as much as I despise this metric of success, it is a lot more quantitative than simple satisfaction ). As a result, I would have to recommend, if not for fear of my own sanity, some sense of inquiry in literature. While it might not be as easy to accomplish as first, such an approach would definitely help increase student understanding of a subject. Increasing student motivation might detract from their initial exposure of the "classics", but teaching them the techniques of analysis should take a higher priority and guide students to a more personal appreciation of any subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 37 (of Blogging): Back to the new normal.

Day 33: A weird day.

Day 36: Emotional Drainage